Subscribe to Email Updates Subscribe to Our Podcast Subscribe to RSS Updates
Map and Directions Connect With Us On Facebook Browse Our Amazon Store Subscribe to Email Updates Subscribe to Our Podcast Subscribe to RSS Updates

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner

Sunday Worship with Weekly Communion

A blend of contemporary and traditional styles of worship, including organ, choir, guitar, and piano.

  10:30am

 

 

We are located at
3955 W. Big Beaver Rd.
Troy, Michigan  48084
(248) 644-0512 

Note that Adams Road is closed on either side of Big Beaver for one month beginning August 18.  There will be detours.  Big Beaver will be down to one lane as well during this period. 

Map and Directions

Our History

Central Woodward Christian Church is a historic Metro-Detroit congregation that stands in covenant relationship with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). We are committed to serving the God who is revealed in the person and ministry of Jesus Christ, whom we confess as Lord and Savior. The Disciples of Christ are marked by a commitment to the unity of a

ll Christians, look to Scripture as our authoritative witness to the things of God, and affirm the freedom and responsibility of each Christian to consider the Scriptures and their witness to Jesus Christ. If you are looking for a church that will provide for spiritual growth on a personal level, Central Woodward could be your home.

Central Woodward is a historic congregation that has ministered within metro Detroit since 1926, with roots that go back to 1878. Established as the merger of two downtown Detroit Disciples congregations in 1926, Central Woodward employed the Detroit firm George D. Mason and Company to design a Neo-Gothic building for the congregation. That building was completed in 1928 and still sits on what was then known as Piety Row in Detroit. The founding pastor of the church was Dr. Edgar DeWitt Jones. During Jones' long tenure as pastor of this congregation, he was an important figure in his denomination and in the Christian Community at large -- serving as one of the early Presidents of the Federal Council of Churches (predecessor of the National Council of Churches).

In 1978 the congregation moved from its previous location to the corner of Big Beaver and Adams in Troy, Michigan. Over the years CWCC has been known for its involvement in the mission and life of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and in the local community. It has also been known for its strong music programs. The congregation has been served by a several pastors, including Dr. Perry Gresham, who went on to serve as president of Bethany College in West Virginia.  Since July 2008 the church has been pastored by Dr. Robert Cornwall, who came to Troy from Southern California.

The original church building on Woodward Avenue is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is the current home of Little Rock Missionary Baptist Church.

You can find this historic building at: 9000 Woodward Ave. Detriot, MI